The building inspector came by last week to do the final inspection of our cabin. He just found a few things that we were able to complete immediately (add house number, install a missing piece of drywall in the pantry) and passed us.
We've been busy putting the finishing touches on our zero-energy cabin, and we're really happy with how it's turned out. Compared to the "big show" of the walls and interior framing going up, this final phase of finish work seemed like it went very slowly.
After getting bumped from our first tiler's schedule, Sy came up from Chelan to install our backsplash and shower pan. We ran into some issues with the porcelain tile we originally chose for the kitchen. Our electrical outlets were placed too close to the top of the backsplash, and the tiles Sy tried to cut kept breaking.
Our cabin is nearly ready for use! Alex, my mom, Leon, and I headed out to Winthrop for a three-day weekend to celebrate my birthday and work on what seems to be a never-ending punch list of little tasks that need to be completed before we start enjoying the house. I spent much of the last couple trips sealing and installing the custom rusted-steel trim for the baseboards and doors. It came out looking really cool, I think, and adds a nice rustic touch to the look of the place. Thanks to our neighbor Michael Guilfoil for the idea.
The house is really coming along. Here's what's happened lately:
- Finished air sealing and achieved .50 ACH at 50 pascals with blower door test
- Installed Roxul Safe-N'Sound acoustical mineral insulation in all interior walls and most floor joist bays
- Completed exterior siding